The Bluefork Portal

My friends are diamonds, my family my treasures. I am so blessed that thanking God is beyond rhetoric...

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Climaco on US troops in Zamboanga: 'No objections'

Zamboanga City District 1 Congressional Rep. Maria Isabelle "Beng" Climaco yesterday denied published statements citing her name in reference to the presence of American forces in the city.

In an exclusive interview with Zamboanga Today, Climaco stated, "I would like to categorically state that I am not expressing my objections to the continued presence of U.S. troops in Zamboanga City. As a matter of fact, we even have joint outreach programs with them."

"My pending query with the Department of Transportation and Communications regarding the landing fees of U.S. planes should not be construed that I am anti-American," the lady solon, who had been out of the country for some days, said.

Climaco added, "Similarly, lingering questions from many about U.S. presence in the country cannot remain unanswered. It is in light of these issues that I find it imperative for the Legislative Oversight Committee on the VFA, of which I am not part of, to settle these issues once and for all so as to give rest to the fears of many sectors."

MISQUOTED LINES

"I would like to clarify that there were misquoted statements published regarding the issue of U.S. Troops in Zamboanga City citing my name. I did not talk to Ambassador (Kristie) Kenney regarding the referral of the matter to the Legislative Oversight Committee on the Visiting Forces Agreement pertaining to the continued presence of U.S. troops in the country. In fact, the last time I saw her from a distance, was during the State of the Nation Address in the House of Representatives last 28 July 2008," Climaco said.

"I would like to state the fact that the convening of the Legislative Oversight Committee on the VFA and its scheduled trip to Zamboanga City is not a result of my misquoted statements on national media. The Committee, which again, I am not part of, meets regularly and acts upon matters brought up to them by various groups," she said.

JSOTFP AS PROJECT PARTNER

Climaco also stressed that the Joint Special Operations Task Force-Philippines has always been a project partner of the local government leaders in the conduct of numerous activities for various communities in Zamboanga and its neighbor island-province, Basilan since its first year of arrival.

"From the start of the Balikatan Exercises in Zamboanga City, I, with other local leaders from the City and Basilan have been chosen to conduct the Cultural Sensitivity Seminar for the U.S. Special Forces assigned in the area. My Office and the JSOTF even spearheaded a Forum on the Balikatan with women and youth leaders from the Region," she said.

"The term 'Balikatan', means shoulder-to-shoulder undertaking. Believing in this theme, our Office continues to partner with the JSOTF in community projects and Medcaps. We acknowledge the US Military’s contribution to all these humanitarian efforts," she emphasized.

SEEKING US HELP ON AIRPORT REPAIR

Climaco likewise stated that her being a legislative representative, she has sought help from the US troops for the rehabilitation of the Zamboanga International Airport.

"In our dialogues with officials of the U.S. Embassy and the U.S. Military, I have consistently requested for help to fix our dilapidated airport since the Zamboanga City Airport has been used consistently in the Exercises and beyond, with huge planes landing to bring in troops and equipment," she said.

"It is but fitting that I as a Representative now, also appeal for improvements for the Airport as I have had the opportunity to request President Arroyo to fund for the Airport Rehabilitation, which resulted to the inclusion of the project in this year’s SONA. Similarly, I allocated a portion of amount for the Airport from my Office’s budget," the District 1 solon said.

Climaco added that she but "took the opportunity to ask the DOTC if the U.S. Forces are paying landing fees for the use of the Airport." This was at the time when Budget Hearings were starting in Congress. Her objective, she said, was to seek allocation in funding from the Air Transportation Office for the Zamboanga International Airport "that is commensurate to revenue generated in the said Airport."

"Nonetheless, I was told that the use of the Airport for purposes of the Exercises is of no fee under the provisions of the VFA," she said.

"Be that as it is, I appealed that in the spirit of Balikatan, I hope that the U.S. can contribute to improve and rehabilitate the Airport, for everyone’s safety," she added.

Climaco however clarified that the "present issue on the table which the Committee is acting upon is the alleged participation of American troops in the Mindanao armed conflict, and not the appeal I have for the U.S. to help us in rehabilitating the Zamboanga International Airport." (Frencie L. Carreon)

No comments: